I ♥ mini cupcakes. They’re just the right amount of sweetness and, well, don’t you think they’re cute?
Low fat pineapple orange cupcakes
(yields 24 mini cupcakes)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canned pineapple – crushed and drained
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp canned pineapple – also crushed and drained
- 1 tsp orange zest
Let’s get baking:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a mini cupcakes pan with two dozen mini cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg first and then whisk in the other wet ingredients.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients, then slowly pour and stir the wet ingredients in. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the cupcake liners.
- Bake cupcakes for about 10 minutes, rotate the pan and then bake for another 10 minutes. Test the cupcakes by inserting a toothpick in the center. The cupcakes are ready when the toothpick comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool in room temperature for about 20 minutes.
Preparing the icing:
- In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Stir crushed pineapple into the cream. (NOTE: Ensure that you’ve drained out the juice from the pineapple as much as possible.)
- Stir orange zest into the cream. (I like using a cheese grater to make orange zest, but there are other ways to do so.)
- Add icing sugar to the cream and mix well.
- Refrigerate the icing for about 30 minutes before adding on top of cupcakes.