I really love banana bread, but I find it disappointing when the store-bought ones are often dry and don’t taste like there’s much banana in them. Also, the store-bought ones can sometimes taste too ‘buttery’ for my liking. I prefer making my own banana bread because I know what I’m putting in it. I find that plain ol’ banana bread is kind of boring, so I add blueberries in my recipe.
The recipe below makes a very moist and dense blueberry banana bread. Everyone who has tried my blueberry banana bread says they love it!
- 3/4 cup fine sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- a dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until creamy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Mash the bananas, and then add milk, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well and scrape along the inside of the bowl as you mix.
- Add the banana mixture to the creamy mixture and stir to combine. Add salt, flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and then mix well.
- Pour 1/3 of batter into the pan, then evenly distribute 1/4 cup blueberries on top of the batter. Repeat until all the batter and blueberries have been added to the pan.
- Bake for 1 hr and 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan. Allow the bread to cool completely.
TIP: The bread is best served slightly warmed and with a light drizzle of honey.